- 6 slices maple bacon
- 1 Vidalia onion, finely diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Dash cayenne pepper
- Couple dashes smoked paprika, basil, garam masala & cinnamon
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes (2-3 large), peeled, quartered lengthwise, and sliced thin
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- garnish: fresh or dried chives
- Cut bacon into small slices and place in a cold soup pot. Heat over medium-high heat and cook the bacon until it’s crisp. Remove and place on plate with paper towel to soak up the grease.
- Keep 1 tablespoon of the fat in the pan and discard the rest. Re-heat the fat over medium-high heat, then add the onions, spices, salt, pepper, and cayenne. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are soft, about 5-7 minutes. Toss in the garlic and stir, cooking until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the sweet potatoes, broth, and water to the pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer, cover, and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Puree the soup ina blender until it is smooth